Research interests and projects:
Theory and method: Psychometrics, Test equating. Functional data analysis in psychometrics, and International large-scale achievement studies.
Fields of application: Educational measurement, Behavioral sciences, International achievement assessments.
- New statistical methods to ascertain high quality over time in standardized achievement tests. (Swedish Research Council)
- What can we learn from large-scale assessments about promoting student success? (Swedish Research Council)
Editorial boards, academy membership and awards
- Associate editor for Journal of Educational Measurement (2015-2016) and on the editorial board for the International Journal of Testing
- Coordinating editor of Behaviormetrika
- Co-editor of the proceedings of the annual meeting of the Psychometric Society.
- Active member of the young academy of Sweden (until 2018).
- Young researcher career Award 2008
- Royal Skyttean prize for young researchers
- Spring semester 2017: Basic Statistics
- Gabriel Wallin
- Co-supervisor for Jannika Lindvall
Completed PhD students:
- Jonathan Wedman (PhD, 2017: Theory and validity evidence for a large-scale test for selection to higher education)
- Inga Laukityte (PhD, 2017: Statistical Modeling in International Large-scale Assessments)
- Kenny Bränberg (PhD, 2010: Observed score equating with covariates)
- Co-supervisor: Valentina Sansivieri (PhD 2017: Item response theory equating with the non-equivalent groups with covariates design)
- Co-supervisor: Björn Andersson (PhD, 2014: Contributions to Kernel equating)
- Co-supervisor: Jenny Häggström (PhD, 2011: Selection of smoothing parameters with application in causal inference)
- Co-supervisor: Anna Sundström (PhD, 2009: Developing and validating self-report instruments)
- Co-supervisor: Per-Erik Lyrén (PhD, 2009: A perfect score: Validity arguments for college admission tests)
Selected recent publications:
Gonzalez, J. & Wiberg, M. (2017). Applying test equating methods – using R. Springer.
Laukaityte, I. & Wiberg, M. (2017). Using plausible values in secondary analysis in large–scale assessments. Communication in Statistics – Theory and Methods. In press.
Wiberg, M. & von Davier, A. A. (2017). Examining the impact of covariates on anchor tests to ascertain quality over time in a college admissions test. International Journal of Testing. 17, 105-126.
Ramsay, J. O. & Wiberg, M. (2016). A [0,n] Test Theory to Replace Sum Scoring. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics, In press.
Andersson, B. & Wiberg, M. (2016). Item response theory observed-score kernel equating. Psychometrika. doi:10.1007/s11336-016-9528-7.
Gonzalez, J. Wiberg, M., & von Davier, A. (2016). A note on the Poisson’s binomial distribution in item response theory. Applied Psychological Measurement. 40(4), 302-310.
Wiberg, M. & Gonzalez, J. (2016). Statistical assessment of estimated transformations in observed-score equating, Journal of Educational Measurement, 53(1), 106-125.
Wiberg, M. (2016). Alternative linear IRT observed-score equating methods. Applied Psychological Measurement, 40(3), 180-199.
Wiberg, M. & Bränberg, K. (2015). Kernel equating under the non-equivalent groups with covariates design. Applied Psychological Measurement, 39(5), 349-361.
Häggström, J. & Wiberg, M. (2014). Optimal bandwidth in observed-score kernel equating. Journal of Educational Measurement, 51(2), 201-211.
Wiberg, M., van der Linden, W.J., & von Davier, A. (2014). Local kernel observed-score equating. Journal of Educational Measurement, 51(1), 57-74.
Andersson, B., Bränberg, K. & Wiberg, M. (2013). Performing the kernel method of test equating using the package kequate. Journal of Statistical Software, 55, 1-25.
Wiberg, M. (2012). Can a multidimensional test be evaluated with unidimensional item response theory? Educational Research and Evaluation, 18(4), 307-320.
Bränberg, K. & Wiberg, M. (2011). Observed score linear equating with covariates. Journal of Educational Measurement, 48(4), 419-440.
Wiberg, M. & van der Linden, W. J. (2011). Linear local observed-score equating. Journal of Educational Measurement, 48(3), 229-254.
Wiberg, M. & Rolfsman, E. (2013). School effectiveness in Science in Sweden and Norway viewed from a TIMSS perspective. Utbildning och Demokrati, 22(3), 69-84.
Adolfsson, L., Benckert, S., & Wiberg, M. (2011). Gapet har minskat: skillnader mellan hög och lågpresterande flickors och pojkars attityder till biologi, fysik och kemi 1995 och 2007. NorDiNa (Nordic Studies in Science Education), 7(1), 3-16.
Carelli, G. Wiberg, B. & Wiberg, M. (2011). Development and construct validation of the Swedish Zimbardo Time Perspective Inventory (S-ZTPI). European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 27(4), 220-227.
Wiberg, M. (2009). Teaching statistics in integration with psychology. Journal of Statistics Education. 17(1), Available at http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/v17n1/wiberg.html.
Currently: Professor at the Department of Statistics, USBE, Umeå University.
2015- : Professor of Statistics with specialty in Psychometrics, USBE; Umeå University, Sweden.
2010-2015: Associate Professor at the Dept. of Statistics, USBE; Umeå University, Sweden.
2006-2010: Assistant Professor at the Dept. of Statistics, Umeå University, Sweden.
2006 (spring): Post doc at University of Twente, the Netherlands.
2005 (fall): Visiting scholar at McGill University, Canada
2004-2005: Lecturer at Dept. of Statistics, Umeå University, Sweden.
2003: PhD in Statistics, Umeå University, Sweden.